Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Republican State Convention
This past weekend we had a great opportunity to attend the Republican State Convention! It was held Thursday, Friday and Saturday, here in Houston at the George R Brown. I was a delegate and Jeff was an alternate, but he got to vote quite a bit because for some reason not all the delegates came! Crazy people, you don't even have to travel for it! There were about 5,000 people there each day and it is the largest State convention in the US (Democratic ones included)! We got to rub elbows with some big names in politics, including Senator John Cornyn and Railroad Commissioner, Michael Williams. Kay Bailey Hutchison, Newt Gingrich and Mike Huckabee were the big speakers, along with Governor Rick Perry. We didn't meet these big names, but we meet a lot of state politicians. My favorite pictures in the slide show are the one of us with President Reagan and the one with me and Mike Huckabee's bald spot. No, this was not the real Reagan, but it was as close as we could get. That is the real Mike Huckabee, bald spot and all! All in all, the weekend was long and tiring, but it was a great experience and I would definitely do it again!
The last picture in the slide show is some flowers I received from one of my families that adopted a precious 3 year old child last Tuesday! I can't show the sweet pictures of him giving me the flowers or the big hug he gave, but I can tell you that being a part of helping him find a forever family was one of the most rewarding things I have done in my 2 1/2 years of social work! YAY for happy endings!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I love the Reagan pic! So fun!
Where's your I heart Bush sign, Becca?! :)
You've come a long way, Becca. I still remember your stories about your protest of the protest when you and Katie went to Austin while you both were at Baylor.
Post a Comment