Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Daily Dependence

So I try hard not to get on soup boxes on here because in general I don't want to offend anyone, but today it may seem like I am on one. Perhaps I am, but what I really want to convey through all of this is our faith in God's sovereignty and our love of our precious boys.

We are going through a particularly difficult junction in our journey as a family with daily reminders of how fleeting it all could be. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this particular experience is not something most families encounter. Perhaps just foster/adoptive families and families who journey through life threatening health issues share this practical daily need to treasure every moment. We are in the midst of doing just that and truly I am so grateful that I have the honor of spending every day with our boys, especially at this time of uncertainty. Speaking of uncertainty, it has placed a tremendous strain on all of of our earthly relationships. Friendships that once brought mutual encouragement, have become distant and injured by very vulnerable emotions. At the same time, a couple of friendships have flourished and grown and provided me in particular an outlet to share my heart freely without fear. For these I am very grateful. One sweet friend recently drew my attention to the verses that follow the verse we have on the boys wall. I have begun praying this truth over us and our boys. The entire passage of Isaiah 43 is awesome but here are some particularly powerful verses for our present circumstance:

When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.

3 For I am the LORD, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
Cush and Seba in your stead.

4 Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
and because I love you,
I will give men in exchange for you,
and people in exchange for your life.

5 Do not be afraid, for I am with you;

Through these verses I am reminded of God's characteristic of sacrificial love which protects His children at all costs!

While praying recently about our situation and seeking God's wisdom. He very clearly gave me another verse which I pray many times a day to center myself on His sovereign plan for our family and His ultimate will to receive glory. Again, the entire chapter brings comfort but this little phrase is always on my lips:

Psalm 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."

Please continue to pray for us as we grow closer to God and to one another during this difficult time of uncertainty. Your prayers and encouragement on our behalf truly mean more to us than we can express!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh, I LOVE those verses. I don't know what you are going through right now...but isn't it awesome to have such comfort from God's Word? We went through a couple heartbreaking situations in the past several years, and that passage in Isaiah was one I read daily and cried every time I read/prayed it. I remember one Beth Moore Bible study where she referenced that passage and said to notice how it says "When" you pass through trials, not "If". Life is hard, but our God is soooo good. I will be praying for you guys!!!

Gran said...

He will continue to bless all four of you with grace, strength, and encouragement. Jer. 29:11

Sarah said...

You are definitely in a unique parenting situation - one that could bless your boots off, but feels uncertain at times. I so admire you & Jeff for loving your boys unconditionally even though you don't know what the future holds for your family. Hang in there, Sister! Your boys are lucky to have you!

Leigh Ann said...

Becca,
Can't imagine all the emotions you and Jeff must go through in a single day! Although you don't know the future, the Lord will never fail you. Follow the path He leads for you and know you have served Him well!