WARNING - This is a long post.
I would love to tell you that this process has been all smiles and warm fuzzes, but it hasn't. Most people have that idea of adoption. That it is somehow an "easier" way to bring a child in your family, but it is not. In the same way that God chooses the specific child that a couple will bring into their family through childbirth, He chooses the children He has planned for adoptive families. Our adoption worker told us yesterday that being matched with your child is a miracle and I believe it is just as much a miracle as childbirth. Our adoption ministers at church say, "some babies grow in their mommy's tummy, and other babies grow in their mommy's heart." This experience is stretching my heart to be filled by the abundant love I will have for my child(ren). But there are growing pains, that's for sure.
During this time we have been impacted by the stories of 6 children. Though we are unsure which if any of the 6 will be placed in our home, they will forever be in our hearts! If you remember, shortly after we were verified we were asked to consider taking 2 children at once to accommodate the need to place siblings together. The specific children we were presented with are brothers. The youngest is an almost 4 year old and the oldest brother is a recent 6. We were immediately drawn to their stories and prayed and planned for if/how we could meet their needs. We hadn't planned for day care so we had to figure out cost and availability. Ultimately we decided to submit for the boys. A few days later we were told that the boys also have 2 sisters that they are not currently placed with and CPS wants to try to find a home for all 4 to be together, possibly with a relative. We experienced our first disappointment, but these brothers have continued to be brought to our hearts and are in our prayers daily.
While we were waiting to hear about the status of the 2 year old and 5 year, we were asked about another set of brothers. The phone call came the very next day after we had submitted for the 5 year old. This set of brothers consists of an 8 year old and 5 year old that we heard about 5 days before they had to be moved from their current foster home. We had to make a quick decision, so we went to work planning/preparing for their arrival including considering how to transfer their school records. We learned about them on a Wednesday and we had planned for them to move in on the following Saturday. It was a whirlwind! I asked my boss about taking time off next week to help them transition and she discussed them having a big kid shower for me when they came and we knew all their sizes and preferences. Well, because
these children's parental rights are terminated but they are waiting for the adoption prep unit at CPS to complete the formal process for finding their permanent home, this worker wanted to read our home study before deciding they would move to our home. Thursday afternoon, we were shocked when we were told by our agency, that the CPS worker did not want the boys placed with us because we are Caucasian and the boys are African American. This is the only reason she gave and she even went so far as to say that if an African American foster to adopt family couldn't be found by the deadline for the move (in two days) to move the children to an African American foster home. She made the decision that she'd rather these children be moved twice in a short period of time, then they live with us because we are Caucasian. I was angry for us, but more importantly for the boys. I spent the next several days grieving, crying at the drop of a hat and all around not functioning. I had to tell my boss and the family members we had told that they weren't coming. I could write a whole blog entry about what I think about this subject, but I will leave you this link to review the facts about the number of African American children in foster care and their increased waiting time for an adoptive family. However we are grateful for God's provision in our lives. Our agency is Christian and the adoption matching specialist we've been working with is a man of God (that happens to be African American). He told us that "some people have agendas, but God has a plan." We are holding firm to this promise in these days of uncertainty.By Tuesday of this week, I was starting to be able to function again, resting in a bit more peace. Another curve ball came the very next afternoon. I was driving back to the office from a visit when Jeff called me and said in a very serious tone, "do you have a few minutes to talk?" I pulled into the McDonald's parking lot to hear the bombshell. A week since we had first heard about the 2nd set of brothers, we were approached again about the first set. I won't share much about how this is manifesting itself, but we feel God's hand all over it! We are cautiously hopeful that we will be closer to growing our family in the coming weeks! Please continue to keep us and the children we've mentioned in your prayers!
3 comments:
I know you told me most of this saga, but my heart still is aching. I know the "right" grandchildren will be here on God's timing, but I want it to be an easier and quicker process. I guess the best parts of our life's journey is sometimes the hardest.
We love you two+.
What a whirl wind. I am praying for you- for peace in this broken system. I am so angry for those 2 little boys... some caseworkers never cease to floor me!! I am so sorry.
I cannot imagine what your emotions are going through being presented with child after child only to feel that dissapointment and let down. It truly is wearing your heart on your sleave.
I will be praying for this new development- for your hearts, for the children, for peace. God DOES have a plan.
You have my prayers and my hopeful heart!!!
Post a Comment