Sunday, September 13, 2009

Welcome home, A & J!

I have a lot to share and don't really know how to put into words the udder joy we have experienced since our precious boys came home 5 days ago!! Everyone that meets them is instantly charmed by their sweet, endearing, kind hearted spirits!! It also doesn't hurt that they both have the cutest little dimples! We are learning more about them each day and are prayerful that the transition will run as smoothly as possible. Please forgive me as I brag a bit more specifically about each boy!

* "A" is an energetic 6 year old that brightens every room with his giant smile and excitement!! A perfect example of his little personality occurred yesterday. He bounced into his classroom for the first time and got into mischief right away. His teacher thought she was going to have her hands full with him, but she quickly learned as we did, that A is eager to win praise from the important adults in his life and responds well to re-direction. He also is very affectionate and tells us he loves us several times a day, usually coupled with giant hugs and sometimes kisses too! He is very insightful as well, usually reading between the lines if we try to have an adult conversation around him. From the very first day, he has been inquiring about whether we will be his mommy and daddy forever. This and his frequent requests to see his sisters, make the unknown future so difficult to bear!! I want with all my heart to reassure him that he has a forever home with us, but we do not have the power to decide that and this fact is so troubling. No one wants to set their child up for heartache, but I am powerless to protect him from it! Though I can't imagine our lives without the boys now, I am an adult and am willing to risk having my heart ripped out but ultimately our child is asking if it is safe to bond with us and we have no way to reassure him!! Please keep sweet "A" and his tender heart in your prayers!

*"J" will be 4 next month. He and my mom share a birthday! He is shy at first, but quickly warms up and is also a very affectionate kiddo! J and A are always thankful and I treasure the sweet ways they express gratitude. Whether that's "thank you for dinner mommy" or the cheers and hugs when I make their bed they are always making sure I know they appreciate all I do for them. J is also very sensitive emotionally and makes sure to tell me "I'm mad" when he goes to time out. He also asked me yesterday if I was mad when I guess I was wearing my frustration and fatigue on my face. Because of their pleasing nature and emotional sensitivity, I'm reminded daily of my need to parent from a firm but emotionally balanced place. I could not have dreamed for kids that's hearts are so pure and sensitive and I am convicted to protect them with everything I have!!

Well, I will leave you with that and apologize in advance for the disappointment you will feel that you can't see their sweet faces, but of course you understand our practical need to protect our boys' identity. Thanks for respecting their privacy and we hope all of you will be able to meet them in person and experience some of the joy we have the honor of experiencing daily with our precious boys!

Stay tuned for "Confessions of a Brand new Mommy" coming in the next couple of days!

5 comments:

Gran said...

Everything you said about A and J is true. You are not bragging; you are just being truthful. I can't wait to see them again.

Kristen said...

How wonderful!! Congratulations guys, we will continue pray for ya'll and the plan God has so strategically planned for each of you.

Jocelyn said...

Oh they sound WONDERFUL and I am so happy for you guys. I am so glad that they are blessed with a mommy who understands their most basic of needs and can look at the reason behind behaviors and into their hearts. Becca- We are having a birthday party for Adrian next Saturday- the 26th- at 2 and would love for you and the boys to come, but I don't have your email address to send you the evite. If you think you'd want to, and can join in leave me a comment with your email address so I can send you the specifics.
Again... SO glad to hear things are going well and that the boys are adjusting well. I will pray for that desperate need in them to feel reasurred about their permanency... and that an answer may come soon for them- and you.

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to meet the boys this weekend. I can already tell they are soooo stinking cute!!

Sarah said...

Yay! Congratulations!!! I know that you are all enjoying your new life as a family of four. There will be adjustments, of course, but we are ALL praying for a very smooth transition. I am specifically praying that the process will move quickly and things will be finalized as fast as possible. I can't wait to meet my new nephews!!! (Even if the paperwork isn't finalized, they are already my nephews in my hear!)

PS What does J want for his birthday???