Sunday, January 17, 2010

Give Life

We will update you on our fun Saturday of basketball games and birthday parties soon, but today we are focusing on a prayer of thanksgiving and intercession. This week we have all been praying for the country of Haiti and the families forever changed by the devastation. One family we know of has adopted 2 children from Haiti, one of which is still in the country. Please join us in praying for the Ivey's and their son, Amos as well as all the families experiencing similar heartache and fear.

Today we also stop to pray as a part of Sanctity of Life Sunday. Many of you probably took part in this day of remembrance and prayer that seeks to shed light on the dark issue of abortion. Houston is especially broken today because tomorrow the 2nd largest abortion clinic in the world will open here. You can read more about the effort local churches are making to make a peaceful stand against this facility and for the unborn at this site. I encourage you to watch the video as well which only takes a few moments but will surely change the way you think about this issue.

Today in the service I was reminded to pray for our children's birth mother for the very first time. I have let her remain nameless and faceless in my mind until today, mainly out of fear of the feelings I might have towards her. Her name is on the children's birth certificates, which I have but I never really took note of it. I could chose to hold such anger towards her for the choices she made which have had life altering effects on them. The choices she made that did not protect them and instead harmed them are always on my mind. This is where I have been, but today I chose to be grateful that she chose life for my boys. I will forever be endeared to her for that, because of them. I will also pray that God will capture her heart for Him and make her a new creation for His glory.

Psalm 139

13For you created my inmost being;

you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

14I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

your works are wonderful,

I know that full well.

15My frame was not hidden from you

when I was made in the secret place.

When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16your eyes saw my unformed body.

All the days ordained for me

were written in your book

before one of them came to be.

2 comments:

Megan B. said...

beautiful - thanks for sharing!!

Sarah said...

I can only imagine how you feel towards A & J's birth mother. I'm so proud of your for shifting your focus and making a conscious effort to love her in spite of her failures. That will be a great example to the boys as they get older and deal with their own feelings towards her. What matters most is that the boys are exactly where they need to be now. :)