Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Faith and works

So, it's the life long question/debate that can be heard in Christian circles. The old faith in relation to works discussion is frequent, but I never have thought about it the way I heard it in the sermon at our church last Sunday.

Our church, HFBC, has been renovating the sanctuary and giving it a much needed update and improving the sound and lighting systems. Sunday was the first official Sunday in the "new" sanctuary. The seats were packed and there was a lot of excitement, but what was most exciting to me was the refreshing message with a new perspective on our role as Christians.

As anyone who frequents our blog can tell, I have been experience some major "burn out" at work for over 6 months now. This, I'm ashamed to admit has also deeply effected my attitude and therefore relationships outside of work as well. This sounds like a tangent, but it isn't. Pastor Greg's sermon spoke to me regarding this. He began a series on 1 Thessalonians in which we examine the church in Thessalonica in relationship to who we are as a church body. The first section is called "Gathering Our Hearts", to be followed by "Grow our Souls" and "Give our Lives." If you are still with me, I am going to list the points in the sermon.

1. Grace then peace - Ignoring His grace forfeits His peace
* Pastor Greg urged us to "humbly acknowledge our need for God's leadership"
2. Our faith produces (catapults) our work
3. Our love prompts our labor - this is my favorite point!
4. Our hope (expectation of God's work) inspires our endurance.

It has been some time since I experienced peace and this message got me thinking about why. I "know" that I need to trust God and depend on him for strength to live each day, but I truly don't do it. If I did, I would experience peace and I would be prompted by His love to labor with endurance.

So, this week I have been working on this. Though it is an ongoing issue, I do feel more cognoscente of my part in surrendering my work to God so that I may experience His Peace!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I heard the sermon too and was very moved by it. I was encouraged by how Gregg talked about Grace THEN peace. I was very convicted by it and by how I need His grace. I'm glad you were encouraged too!

Gran said...

What comforting thoughts. We all need to learn His basic lessons. Thank you for sharing these pearls of wisdom.

Lauren and Derek said...

I wish I could have heard that sermon. What a great reminder about God's grace!