Saturday, July 21, 2007

Puppy prozac, late night calls, and marshmallow man hands

Okay, so I have had my dog, Harvey for four years. One would think that by this time he would have grown out of his "puppy stage" where he destroys things and is hyper. I have to admit those of you who have heard the Harvey horror stories would agree he is much better behaved. When we are home he is calm and sweet, but when we aren't home, it is another story. We bought our house almost a year ago. Due to wedding planning and me living in Sugar Land, we have not yet begun to decorate per se. So, we have several rooms we'd like to paint etc., but we weren't planning to paint our bedroom because we like the color. Well, Harvey had another plan. He has decided that when we are at work, he is going to flip the crate over until it rubs against the wall. Anyway, now the walls in the corner of our bedroom have places where there is dry wall exposed. Jeff is upset about it. I don't blame him, and I am attempting to find a non give the dog away solution. So, we bought this pheromone calming stuff, no help. I took him to the vet and get this, the vet said it is seperation anxiety and suggested puppy Prozac. However, he said that having a dog on this medication for a prolonged period is bad for their kidneys and liver, so he recommended Benadryl. We haven't tried it yet. I will let you know if it works.

I didn't sleep at ALL last night. Isn't that a line from a song? I am on call for work from 5 PM to 8 AM on weekdays and all day and night one weekends for two weeks. I am about half way done with my 2 week rotation and I only have to do it once a year. Praise the Lord! However, the freaking on call phone rang at 11 PM last night, 3, 6, 9, and 11 AM this morning and, 3 PM and 7 PM tonight. It is really hard to do crisis management when you are woken up from a dead sleep! Jeff said I sounded really funny trying to introduce myself on the phone.

So, this morning we were supposed to get up at 5:30 AM to go to our walking training (we are training for to walk to Houston Marathon in January of next year), but we didn't make it of course! Jeff being the wonderfully disciplined man that he is, suggested we go at 1 PM instead. It was HOT! My fingers swelled up until I couldn't bend them. I had to take my wedding ring off because it was cutting off my circulation. It was ridiculous. I felt like that white ghost/marshmallow man from the tire commercials. We only had to walk four miles and you would have thought it was 10 the way I was complaining. Poor Jeff! He married a wife with marshmallow man hands that hasn't ever walked over 3 miles. We are working up to 26.2 miles. Pray for us. We are going to need it! I should say I will. Jeff's already run a full marathon and a half marathon before.

I will take pictures of our wall to post and the after as well. We have decided to cover the damage with material until we can do something different. It should be interesting!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Bummer about the walls and the on call phone. :( Hope that it gets better. I can't believe that y'all are going to walk in a marathon! Good for you!!!

Matt and Cindy Fleharty said...

Wow, good luck with the marathon! I'm so impressed -- not sure I could pull that off! Oh, and I totally get marshmallow man hands too. Now I have a phrase for it!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you all have a blog, it will be fun to read about your newlywed adventures! Things are finally calming down at our house, I'm so sad that we could not make it to any of the wedding festivities, but I loved looking at your honeymoon pictures.
You all take care.