Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Amazing Grace

I have been writing and rewriting this post in my head for weeks. Recently God brought these thoughts together to remind me of some very simple but powerful truths. Again, I am putting myself out there and seeking to be authentic. If you read our blog just to learn about the daily adventures of our family, this may not interest you as much. But I believe strongly that as a Christian it is important to share about God's work in my life in hopes that it will encourage other believers or plant seeds for emerging faith in non-believers.

I have very strong memories of the day I met Jesus. I was 7 (exactly "A"s age) and we were coming home from Wednesday night church. We picked up fried chicken to take home for dinner. I heard an Amy Grant song on the radio. My sister was her biggest fan, we frequented her concerts, and definitely had a GIANT poster of her in our house. For the life of me I don't know what the song was called or any of the lyrics, but I clearly remember the message. It was that without a personal relationship with Christ I would spend an eternity in hell, separated from Him. I knew I loved Jesus and I wanted to be with Him forever. So, with simple child like faith I asked my mom to help me pray to become a Christian. She drew a picture that showed the gap between us and God and the bridge that is the cross that makes it possible for us to draw near to God. I had grown up in the church and knew about Jesus, but that day He became my Savior. I remember I had 2 French braids in my hair the day I was baptized and I remember that our sweet family friends, FH and Mary came to our church that day to celebrate with us. I am so grateful that these memories don't fade. I pray that my boys will come to know the Lord at a young age as well.

However, since I became a mom I have realized that I have taken my salvation for granted. In pride, I don't consider myself to be in need of grace. I admit that I sin, but it isn't that "bad". At least I don't commit the big sins, like... How ridiculous a thought, that sin would be on a continuum from really bad to permissible. Thank God, my pride has crumbled recently in light of my precious boys. In the last few months God has urged me to teach them with the mindset that the behavior or sin may be ugly, but they are of great worth. They will always be worthy of my forgiveness and unconditional love! No matter what they do I will always forgive, because they are my children. This is just a reflection of the type of love God offers me. I can forgive them in this way, because God has forgiven me with such perfect grace and mercy. Isn't that such a simple truth, yet so profound?! I never fully grasped this truth until I experienced the love of a parent for their child. How much more does God look at my sin, grieve for my waywardness, but long for me to seek His forgiveness and restore relationship with me? Still He sacrificed the life of His Son to make a way for this type of redemption. It is truly amazing! Our Sunday School teacher spoke about Pride and Forgiveness last week and this verse struck me like a lightening bolt!

"But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions-it is by grace you have been saved."
Ephesians 2:4-5

Lord, please continue to convict me of the ugly sin of pride each time it creeps up in me! I want to be ever mindful of the depth of my need for your grace!

I have experienced such joy and renewed awe for God's amazing grace! This version of the classic hymn has touched me since the first time I heard it, but now I sing it with greater conviction and tears of joy! I am praying that God uses it to remind you of His ever present and amazing grace!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Becca, that post was beautifully written. Thank you for sharing. I completely agree that having children gives a whole new perspective and depth to our salvation. What a beautiful blessing! I'm so thankful that the Lord is continuing to grow you and strengthen your faith.

Gran said...

Amen! You are a true blessing to all. You are a beautiful vision of God's grace.

I love you.
Mom