Friday, July 11, 2008

Houston Project 2008



Last night we completed Houston Project 2008. I mentioned it in an earlier post, but this is our church's approach to get as many people as possible involved in local missions. We were at one of the 8 sites, called Allen Parkway Village. We truly loved getting to know the community and the kids! We had a VBS, middle school and high school program (w/ real rappers), a ladies' Bible Study, and evangelism at the site. I was also able to connect with a couple of the moms of our children, which was a pleasure. Jeff and I directed the 5 year old group and boy, they were active to say the least. The most difficult part was that we were outside under tents that had no sides. We tried to put up netting to keep all the kids in, but it was a constant struggle to contain them. They were literally in their own backyard and are used to having free reign of the whole complex.

Tavoris, Kaleub, Deneshia, and I


Jeff and I after completing our first year doing Houston Project together:


A group picture of all the couples from our Sunday School class that served at our site:


We did our best to keep all the kids together and God gave us the opportunity to spend a lot of one on one time with one of the kids that liked to escape, Kaleub. I immediatley knew that some of Kaleub's actions were beyond his control. It wasn't until last night that I understood. Kaleub shared with me that his mom recently went to jail. In the same evening one of our other frequent run aways told me she saw her cousin go to jail for shooting someone. My heart goes out to these kids, who in their first 5 years experienced things that no one would want a child to experience! If you would, please pray for these precious children and their families, we would appreciate it.

1 comment:

Gran said...

What an awesome ministry! God will bless you both.