Thursday, May 14, 2009

Current Contemplation

In a recent e-mail to a friend I tried to summarize my current feelings in anticipation of our son coming home.
" I am so excited to become a mommy in an unconventional way, but all my other mommy friends will be parenting babies and I'll be in a whole different stage with my kiddo. It's just a weird and kind of lonely feeling, but I don't question at all that it is what we are meant to do. Make sense?"

Any thoughts/encouragement are welcomed!

3 comments:

Gran said...

You are going to be a great mom. In fact, you already are. Your little prince is a blessed child. I hope he knows that wherever he is.

Jenny M said...

You will do GREAT! This child will be beyond blessed to have you as his mother.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

Jocelyn said...

Again... a comment on an old post. This is something I feel quite a lot. Here I am- number 1 a single mommy (and by choice) and number 2, it's a journey that is "unconventional", different, misunderstood, etc. When I took Sariyah in I have to say that I lost a LOT of contact with people. I was even told by one friend that i had been friends with for years when I told her Sariyah would be coming, "What? Why? You can hardly handle one by yourself. Why are you so set on adding another?"... this from a friend that helped for months with Adrian when I had to go back to work (and maybe that's what she saw as me not being able to "handle"... whatever) and was completely involved... but the further I got into "unconventional" the more she disappeared. To date, she hasn't even MET 3 of the kiddos that have been in my home... and I was there for her son's BIRTH!

All this to say... it is sad. It is different and you WILL find out who those forever and true friends are. Those friends will look at your situation as if it as normal as any other person.
But you are right... you will be at a different life stage. And there will be grieving for the "normal" life. I mean, here I am and in 2 years I've had 6 kiddos in my home, in and out. I'm essentially in a "divorce" situation with an 18 year old girl and it SUCKS... it's "unconventional" to the MAX!

Here's the up-side... it IS the best "unconventional" life you will ever have hoped for. You will learn to rely on God like never before. You will look to your husband like never before. And those friends that stay... oh how amazing those friendships will become.
AND... the other adoptive parents that you will meet along with way will be a HUGE support as they will be the ONLY ones that will truly know what life is like for you. This weekend in fact I will be meeting 2 blogger foster mommy friends for the 1st time face to face and am so excited. And although I have only "spoken" with them through email and IMs, I feel like I have known them forever and feel all ready so connected to them. Reach out to those people in classes, at your church, ME... whoever can help you feel like the abnormal is just as normal as you'd ever want it! :)

(Is this the longest "comment" you've ever had or what??!? I should have just done it in a normal email, but... oh well!)